Closing arguments set in ex-NFL star's double murder trial
- Author: Annette Adams Apr 07, 2017,
Apr 07, 2017, 1:22
The prosecution in former Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez's double murder trial rested Monday and his defense attorneys called their first witness in Suffolk (Mass.) Superior Court, the Boston Globe reported.
Wednesday's testimony was a final effort to bolster the defense's theory that the slayings of Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado weren't the result of a drive-by shooting by Hernandez, but instead a gun fight in which the victims participated.
Prosecutors say Hernandez killed de Abreu and Furtado in July 2016 because he felt disrespected after de Abreu bumped into him and spilled his drink.
He already is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder after shooting to death Odin L. Lloyd in June 2013. Salvador said he did not see anyone bump into Hernandez.
BOSTON Lawyers for former National Football League star Aaron Hernandez have begun presenting their defense in his double-murder trial. Judge Jeffrey Locke speaks to members of the jury before closing arguments in the trial of former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez at Suffolk Superior Court, Thursday, April 6, 2017, in Boston. After the photo, the two saw each other outside the club and Salvador thanked Hernandez for the photo. Bradley told the jury he had thought Hernandez meant to scare the men.
Bradley testified that Hernandez took out a gun and opened fire on the men's auto at a stoplight two hours after the nightclub encounter.
Dr. Jamie Downs, the defense's expert, said he took issue with the autopsy reports done by the state's medical examiner, who testified last week.
The day began with testimony from the prosecution's final witness, Robert Settana, an investigator with the Suffolk County District Attorney's Office. Baez called Bradley a "liar, "perjurer" and "parasite" who got the "deal of a lifetime" from prosecutors after he named Hernandez as the shooter". Former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez looks back during his double murder trial in Suffolk Superior Court in Boston, Wednesday, April 5, 2017. Hernandez is standing trial for the July 2012 killings of Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado who he encountered in the Boston nightclub.