Police got tip about Facebook killing suspect

Stephens was the focal point of a almost three-day nationwide manhunt after shooting and killing 74-year-old Robert Godwin about 2 p.m. on Easter Sunday, police said.

The suspect, identified as Steve Stephens, shot and killed himself after a "brief pursuit", Pennsylvania State Police confirmed on Twitter.

State police attempted a traffic stop and "after a brief pursuit", Mr Stephens committed suicide.

Erie County is in the northwestern corner of the state, roughly 100 miles (160 km) northeast of Cleveland.

"I'm at the point where I snapped", Stephens said on a video posted to his Facebook page.

One of Godwin's daughters, Debbie Godwin, said she wished Stephens had been captured.

"Steve really is a nice guy... he is generous with everyone he knows".

"Our hearts go out to the family and friends of Robert Godwin, Sr".

In the video of the shooting, Stephens told Godwin the name of his girlfriend and said, "She's the reason that this is about to happen to you". Godwin did not seem to recognize the name.

The chase lasted 2 miles, and troopers managed to disable Stephens' vehicle, state police said.

Owner Blake Frederick said Stephens visited Sherwin Shooting Sports within the past year. "If you did it, you have to face your crime", she said.

Later Sunday, Stephens uploaded a video to his Facebook page showing a gun pointed at a man's head. "I am sorry that all of this has happened".

It wasn't immediately clear where Stephens had been since the Sunday shooting in Cleveland, which killed a 74-year-old retired man. "He was kind and loving to me and my children", she told CBS News.

Stephens is believed to have videotaped his actions and published it on Facebook, along with another video threatening to kill others and claiming he had already killed 13 people. "It was always good things", Lee said.

"In this case we did not receive a report about the first video, and we only received a report about the second video - containing the shooting - more than an hour and 45 minutes after it was posted", said Justin Osofsky, Facebook's vice president of global operations. Detectives were able to get in contact with him, telling him to surrender.

  • Stacy Allen