Hostages' 911 call alerted police to fugitives

So he called his neighbor - and they held the tattooed pair at gunpoint until police arrived.

The two men got onto a correctional bus as prisoners but became fugitives shortly before sunrise.

Pictures of Ricky Dubose and Donnie Rowe had been shared hundreds of thousands of times across social media since early Tuesday morning.

The pair had been cellmates once and both were serving prison sentences for separate armed robbery and assault convictions at Baldwin State Prison near Milledgeville.

The minutes that preceded their escape are still under investigation but police say the two somehow got out of what should have been a locked, gated rear section of the bus. The two escaped inmates sought in the killings of two guards on a Georgia prison bus were captured Thursday in Tennessee after holding an elderly couple captive and leading police on a chase by vehicle and foot, authorities said.

Protocol is to have two armed corrections officers on the bus, but the officers don't wear bullet-proof vests during transfers, Dozier said. "I have their blood on my shoes". As they backed up, he saw that the men had gotten closer. Rowe and Dubose slowly made their way north.

"I'm happy. I'm elated, but I'm still tremendously sad about these (deceased) officers", Sills said about the capture. "This is a rock quarry-type place". They ultimately left the truck in Tennessee and stole a white sedan, which they abandoned near the hostages' home, Swing said.

There the two apparently stole a auto, which they covered with grass and branches when they ditched it along a state highway in Bedford County, authorities said. The end of the road for the two inmates, Rowe, and Ricky Dubose sought in the killings of their guards on a Georgia prison bus turned out to be the driveway of a homeowner in rural Tennessee, who held them at gunpoint, June 15, 2017, until reinforcements arrived.

They tried to steal a auto from the man who, with the help of his neighbor, held them at gunpoint until they were arrested, ending a three-day long manhunt that spanned 260 miles.

"[They] tied the man up with a belt and put socks on his hands where he couldn't use his fingers", he added.

The escapees allegedly ate soup, and stole shoes, clothing and jewelry from the house.

Deputies spotted the vehicle and chased it for 20 miles (32 kilometers) at high-speed, Tennessee Highway Patrol spokesman Lt. Bill Miller said. Rutherford County Sheriff Michael Fitzhugh said his deputies did not return fire and none were injured.

Shortly after, Rowe and Dubose crashed the vehicle and ran away. They got in his vehicle.

That's how an intense manhunt that spanned more than two days and stretched across the nation ended.

The inmates were caught following a auto chase in Tennessee, Georgia Governor Nathan Deal said on Twitter.

Around 2:30 p.m. Dubose and Rowe broke into a home in Shelbyville and tied up a man and woman.

Having lost their weapons in the crash, Dubose and Rowe surrendered, authorities said.

  • Stacy Allen