2 militants killed, 3 armymen injured in DPS gunfight

2 militants killed, 3 armymen injured in DPS gunfight


Two army personnel were injured in an encounter on Sunday with militants who took refuge inside the premises of the Delhi Public School near the Srinagar- Jammu national highway after attacking a CRPF party in Pantha Chowk area on Saturday evening.

Official sources said two to three terrorists carrying AK-47 rifles attacked a CRPF vehicle, which was part of the force's 29 battalion, near DPS School at Pantha Chowk at around 6:00 pm, injuring assistant sub inspector Shab Shukla and driver constable Nisar Ahmad.

A gunfight started on Sunday between the security forces and hold-up militants in Srinagar, reportedly holed up in a private school, says Jammu and Kashmir police. During the search operation, a school staff informed the forces that they had seen the militants enter one of the school buildings.

The DGP said the operation to flush out the militants was getting prolonged because of the size of the building.

On the operation getting prolonged, the state police chief said, "There are 36 rooms, the building is huge".

J&K Police Chief, Shesh Paul Vaid, while speaking to reporters said that the enemy has nefarious designs to destroy school buildings in the Valley "so that our children abandon their studies".

"Two Army personnel were injured in the gunbattle today", the official said.

Later the security forces officials announced that both the militants have been "neutralised" and that their bodies were lying inside.

Pakistan-based militant group Lashkar-e-Toiba had yesterday claimed responsibility for the militant attack on CRPF vehicle.

CRPF spokesperson Rajesh Yadav told Kashmir Reader that soon after the attack, the entire area was cordoned off to nab the militants.

District Magistrate Srinagar Farooq Ahmed Lone said: "Restrictions have been imposed with immediate effect from Ramunshi Bagh to Sempora" - a stretch of the highway.

  • Terrell Bush