7 feared dead in 3 auto bomb blasts — DAMASCUS

The Syrian interior ministry stated that they were able to intercept and explode two vehicle bombs Sunday morning in Damascus.

A suicide vehicle bomber pursued by security forces blew himself up in eastern Damascus Sunday, with a monitor reporting 18 killed in the deadliest attack to hit the Syrian capital in months.

Reports said security forces foiled a plot to target crowded areas on the first day of work after the long Muslim holiday that follows Ramadan.

State media said the bomber had been spotted and pursued by the security forces and set off the bomb after he had been encircled in the area.

A wounded girl lies in bed in a hospital in Damascus, capital of Syria, on July 2, 2017.

The number of people killed in Sunday's blasts in Syria's capital of Damascus has increased to 13, while at least 29 others have sustained injuries, a medical source told Sputnik.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights put the death toll of all three of Sunday's auto bombings at 21, including the drivers and seven members of the regime forces and their allies. Daesh claimed responsibility for that attack.

Footage on state TV from the scene of one.

People inspect the site of a auto bomb blast in Damascus in this handout picture posted on SANA on July 2, 2017, Syria.

Also in March, a double suicide attack in the capital killed scores of people, majority Iraqi Shi'ite pilgrims. While the six-year war - which has claimed more than 300,000 lives - continues to ensnare most of the country, pro-government forces have held Damascus under Assad's control.

  • Rogelio Becker