Family spokeswoman: British baby Charlie Gard has died
- Author: Eleanor Harrison Jul 29, 2017,
Jul 29, 2017, 0:29
The case garnered global attention and support, with President Donald Trump and Pope Francis both weighing in via twitter in support of the boy and his parents this month.
The 11-month-old baby, who had a rare genetic disorder and brain damage, had been taken to a hospice to spend his final moments.
Through their own research, Charlie's parents, Chris Gard and Connie Yates, found a doctor in the United States doing research on an experimental treatment called nucleoside bypass therapy who was willing to treat Charlie.
Doctors and nurses at Great Ormond Street, one of the world's most renowned children's hospitals, were subject to abuse and even death threats - which Charlie's parents condemned.
In a statement, his mother Connie Yates said: "Our lovely little boy has gone, we are so proud of you Charlie". Doctors said Charlie was unable to see, hear, move, cry, or swallow since he was 8 weeks old. A ventilation tube keeps him alive.
9 July: Charlie's parents join a demonstration outside GOSH, delivering a petition of more than 350,000 signatures calling on doctors to allow him to go to the US. His parents made the announcement on Friday.
Mr Justice Francis drew five months of litigation to a close by making the order, which saw Charlie leave the London hospital where he has been cared for since late 2016, and move to a hospice.
Charlie's story and his parent's fight caught the attention of world leaders near and far, including UK Prime Minister Theresa May, who supported the hospital, while Pope Francis tweeted his support for Charlie's parents.
Mr Justice Francis in April ruled in favour of Great Ormond Street and said Charlie should be allowed to die with dignity.
He barred identification of the hospice or of any of the medical staff treating Charlie, and ordered that there be no media reports of when Charlie is moved.
In a case which caught the attention of the world, his parents had hoped to take their son to the US where he would be given nucleoside therapy.
"It is for Charlie, his parents and family that we all pray, hoping that they are able, as a family, to be given the support and the space to find peace in the days ahead", the statement said. The hospital and parents found themselves in court once again this week. "We need a pediatric intensive care consultant to come forward to assist and facilitate with a hospice stay".
The judge said life-support treatment would end shortly after Charlie arrived at the hospice. On Thursday, a judge ruled that Charlie will be taken to hospice to die, rather than home as his parents requested.
Great Ormond Street bosses said they were not satisfied that a properly-qualified specialist would be in control under Charlie's parents' plan.
The hospital said it would be giving careful thought to what it could learn from the "bruising" court case - and it added that everyone wished there could have been a less tragic outcome.