Truck driver cited in crash with driverless bus

The Navya-built shuttle, which began operating on November 8 in Las Vegas, was involved in a collision with a delivery truck in the shuttle's first hour of service, according to a report by KSNV News 3 Las Vegas.

The shuttle crashed just before noon not far from the Las Vegas Strip, less than two hours after officials held an unveiling ceremony to promote the vehicle.

The accident is believed to be the fault of a human truck driver who emerged from a side alley and failed to stop his vehicle.

It took less than two hours for Las Vegas's brand new self-driving shuttle to end up in a crash on Wednesday - thanks to a human.

City spokesman Jace Radke said the shuttle stopped when it sensed the truck was approaching, but the truck didn't stop.

Over the next year, AAA aims to give some 250,000 people free rides on the self-driving shuttle, which will run a 0.6-mile loop with three stops (and a safety driver onboard just in case). No one was injured in the minor crash but passengers say the bus could have actually avoided the truck backing its way. The shuttle will remain out of service for the rest of the day. Navya already has shuttles operating in Paris, and two days ago announced another vehicle, Autonom Cab, that carries up to six people in driverless serenity at up to 56 miles per hour.

The driver of the truck was charged with illegal reversing. Nevertheless, Las Vegas city representatives seem happy at the result - none of the passengers was injured and the shuttle apparently performed as it was created to. AAA chose Las Vegas for the launch because of the state's progressive regulations on autonomous vehicles, heavy investment in innovation, the high volume of visitors and a sunny, dry climate that's favorable for testing new driving technology.

Navya has a fleet of 50 autonomous shuttle buses deployed worldwide, and says that it has carried over 200,000 passengers so far.

  • Rogelio Becker