Eight Turkish soldiers killed in Syria, 13 wounded: army

The military said the wounded soldiers had been hospitalized to receive treatment.

SANA's reporter said the aid convoy is carrying food and medina and other relief supplies to support the residents of Afrin in the face Turkey's ongoing act of aggression in the region. It did not provide further details and it was not clear if the airstrikes were in retaliation for the deaths of eight Turkish soldiers killed there yesterday.

Turkey on January 20 launched Operation Olive Branch to remove YPG/PKK and Daesh terrorists from Afrin.

Speaking on Alhurrah, a US based Arabic language TV channel, Lieutenant Adrian Galloway said that the Afrin operation is hindering the fight against the Islamic State (ISIL).

Syrian activists say the Turkish air force has hit two positions of pro-government Syrian fighters deployed last week in the Kurdish enclave of Afrin, killing and wounding a number of fighters.

A Turkish helicopter was also reportedly struck while attempting to rescue injured soldiers and was forced to turn back.

Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan was informed of the incident during a visit to Senegal.

The situation was complicated further 10 days ago following the deployment of pro-regime elements in the enclave of Afrin, with observers warning of an increased risk of confrontation between the forces of Ankara and Damascus.

Turkey has rejected a call from the United States for Afrin to be included in a UN Security Council-agreed nationwide ceasefire in Syria.

Meanwhile, the Turkish Armed Forces (TSK) announced that at least 2,434 terrorists had been "neutralized" in the operation since it was launched.

According to the Turkish General Staff, the operation aims to establish security and stability along Turkey's borders and the region as well as to protect Syrians from terrorist oppression and cruelty.

The YPG has been a key component of a US-backed Kurdish-Arab alliance that has been fighting the Islamic State jihadist group in Syria.

The Observatory says more than 140 civilians have been killed in Turkish bombardment, but Turkey denies the claim and says it takes the "utmost care" to avoid civilian casualties.

  • Rogelio Becker