Trump Will 'Probably' Skip WH Correspondents' Dinner - Again

President Donald Trump confirmed he will skip the White House Correspondents' Dinner again.

He skipped it in 2016, which came amid the presidential campaign and was the last of the dinners at which Mr Obama was the honoured guest.

"I sort of feel that the press is so bad", he said.

"They're like novelists. I call them novelists", Trump said. I mean, "sources say" and they have no sources.

He said at the time that he would "absolutely" attend this year.

Media coverage of Trump remains overwhelmingly negative 14 months into his presidency.

The event typically features a comedian who roasts the president and his team and then the top executive returns it to the press.

Trump's rocky relationship with the press likely would have been more evident than ever this year, had he made a decision to go: Just this week, amid rumors that he might attend the dinner, the president slammed the media as "so fake" in an interview with WABC's Bernie and Sid in the Morning.

The organization stated on Twitter that White House press secretary Sarah Sanders will represent the Trump administration at the event.

It's the second year that Trump has boycotted the annual black-tie dinner, which had been attended annually by every president for 37 years.

Last year, Trump bailed - opting to hold a campaign-style rally on the same night as the soiree.

Trump constantly knocks the media as "fake news" in speeches and tweets and has focused his ire on the Washington Post in recent weeks because of his dislike of owner Jeff Bezos' other company, Amazon.

The dinner is an opportunity for the U.S. leader to speak informally, with former United States president Barack Obama notably using the gala to show off his comedic talent. He did, however, telephone well wishes and a few jokes during the dinner. Pictured above is Trump at the White House on April 5, 2018.

Among his quips: "I was very excited to receive this invitation and ruin your evening in person".

  • Rogelio Becker