Saudi Arabia intercepts ballistic missiles

Loud explosions were heard in the night sky above Riyadh on Wednesday night as state-run television said Iranian-backed Houthi rebels targeted the capital with a ballistic missile from Yemen.

One man was killed in Riyadh last month by debris after the military shot down a flurry of missiles, the first casualty of the Yemen war in the Saudi capital.

Wednesday's missiles followed the downing of two Houthi drones earlier in the day in Jizan and the nearby Saudi city of Abha, the coalition said.

Their news agency SABA said four people were killed, including a woman and a child, and 10 others wounded in two air strikes on Wednesday in the Razih district of western Saada province.

"The missile force carried out a large-scale ballistic missile attack on various parts of Saudi Arabia", the group's Al-Masirah TV said.

Major General Mohammed Al Misairi, commander of the Saudi-led coalition, which includes the UAE, said the Arab forces would continue to support the national army until all of Yemen is liberated from the Houthi militia grip.

Saudi Arabia accuses its rival Iran of smuggling missiles to the Huthis - a charge Tehran denies.

Turki al-Maliki, said that at 7:40 am local time, air defense systems were able to detect an unidentified object in the direction of Abha International Airport and was dealt with accordingly.

Qasef 1 is a drone aircraft previously unveiled by the militant rebel group.

Houthis said the barrage of missiles also targeted King Abdullah city in the Saudi border province of Jizan.

More recently, the Houthi movement claimed to have fired a ballistic missile targeting Saudi Aramco in the southern Saudi province of Najran three weeks ago.

  • Santos West