Coli Outbreak Linked to Romaine Lettuce Claims Its First Fatality
- Author: Joey Payne May 03, 2018,
May 03, 2018, 9:30
The overall given on Wednesday is up 23 cases from the C.D.C.'s very last upgrade on April 27, and Kentucky, Massachusetts and Utah reported their first scenarios.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said two cases have been reported in MA but no additional information was immediately available.
Of 102 with information available, 52, or 51%, have been hospitalized, which is a very high rate.
The death was reported in California, according to the CDC latest report. Fourteen people have developed a type of kidney failure called hemolytic uremic syndrome. Cases are reported in California than at just about any other country. The most recent illnesses reported began experiencing symptoms April 21.
If you or a loved one have been sickened with an E. coli O157:H7 infection or HUS, please contact our experienced attorneys for help at 1-888-377-8900. "This takes an average of two to three weeks", the CDC reported Wednesday. Sixty-three percent of those who fell sick are female. But investigators have not specified when and where that lettuce became contaminated with the unsafe bacteria, and the farm has not been linked to other cases. "At this time, ill people are not reporting whole heads or hearts of romaine".
One farm in Yuma, Arizona has been identified so far as supplying the whole-head lettuce linked to a cluster of E. coli cases among prisoners in Nome, Alaska. However, FDA has not associated that farm with the rest of the multistate outbreak affecting 24 other states.
As in previous updates, the CDC continues to warn consumers about consuming romaine lettuce that originates specifically from Yuma, Arizona.
Health experts are advising retailers and restaurants not to serve or sell any remain lettuce from Yuma, Arizona. This includes lettuce in a salad mix.
Is the romaine lettuce at your local grocer safe to eat? Numerous people sickened across the country consumed chopped lettuce that had been sold in bagged form to restaurants.