Kashmir: CRPF vehicle runs over 3 while being attacked, 1 died

CRPF vehicles were the target of three grenade attacks in Srinagar on Saturday after a man, run over by its jeep, died late last night, sparking bouts of street protests in several parts of Jammu and Kashmir capital Srinagar.

Officials deny the claims and say that the vehicle was surrounded by a crowd of angry young men, some of whom fell beneath the jeep-like auto when they tried to pull the soldiers out and lynch them. A separate case was also filed against unidentified men for attempted murder of the CRPF personnel in the vehicle at that time.

According to Kashmir media Service, the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) vehicle knocked down two boys as it sped by a group of protesters who had gathered outside Srinagar's Jamia Masjid at Nowhatta. Over 50 people were injured due to the firing of pellets, bullets and teargas shells on worshippers who were offering prayers in the mosque on Friday.

Qaiser was admitted to Srinagar's Sher-e-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences.

Security forces say the police were defending themselves from attack, but some local people say they deliberately drove into the crowd.

Kaiser, after his parents death was with his aunt along with his two sisters.

Seven civilians were also injured at Aknoor, near the contested territory's border with Pakistan, in a barrage that claimed the lives of two Indian border officers.

One of the victims remains in a critical condition.

Former state chief minister Omar Abdullah took to Twitter to condemn the incident. Now they just drive their jeeps right over protestors.

JKLF chairman Mohammad Yasin Malik was detained from his residence here, while moderate Hurriyat Conference chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq was placed under house arrest today.

Tempers ran high on Sunday afternoon after police and paramilitary CRPF which were deployed in strength in Fateh Kadal used force to disperse mourners, leaving more than a dozen injured.

Confirming the police has booked the CRPF and protesters, Srinagar's SSP Imtiaz Ismail Parray said, "We have lodged two cases with regard to the incident".

He said the criticism of security forces who risk their lives protecting the country was "unfortunate".

India's Border Security Force said its troops returned fire after Pakistani border rangers in Sialkot fired into Kashmir without provocation in the early hours of Sunday.

  • Rogelio Becker