KL report: MH370 was probably deliberately steered off course

They were briefed yesterday at the transport ministry before the report's public release.

They had no conclusion about what happened aboard the plane that vanished with 239 people on board en route to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur on March 8, 2014, leaving one of the world's greatest aviation mysteries unsolved. Similarly, the plane's loss of communications before veering off track was more likely due to systems "being manually turned off or power interrupted to them" than a malfunction, it said.

Malaysia's new government, which took power in May, total transparency, including the release of the report by the official safety investigation team - a 19-member body which includes worldwide investigators.

A new safety report into the disappearance of flight MH370 has concluded that the airplane was manually turned around mid-air, rather than being under the control of autopilot, and that "unlawful interference by a third party" could not be ruled out.

Calvin Shim's wife, Christine Tan, was a member of the crew.

French gendarmes and police inspect a large piece of plane debris which was found on the beach in Saint-Andre, on the French Indian Ocean island of La Reunion, on July 29, 2015.

"It's hard because we have to live with not knowing why my wife has gone missing", he said. A few of us, worldwide families, have been unable to make it in that time frame so I'm very angry about that, ' Ms Weeks told AAP. We can't even have a proper ceremony or a proper place to remember my children's mother.

The plane's black boxes, which record flight data, have not been found. A private Texas-based firm reached an agreement with the Malaysian government to search, but that was also stopped in May 2018.

"We want the answer of why the plane has gone missing and where it has gone".

"More importantly, I think it's a signalling device around the whole question of justice of fairness, of letting it be known there are costs involved when lives are lost".

'It's what we've been asking for, for so long, but I'm not holding my breath, ' she said.

In May, Malaysia called off a three-month search by United States firm Ocean Infinity, which spanned 112,000 sq km in the southern Indian Ocean and ended with no significant findings.

It was the second major search after Australia, China and Malaysia ended a fruitless search across an area of 120,000 sq km (46,332 sq miles) previous year.

The report documented shortcomings among Kuala Lumpur air traffic controllers: they were too slow to initiate emergency procedures and there was no evidence to suggest they were continuously monitoring radar displays, it said.

It showed there were only two attempted phone calls made to the aircraft from the ground, four to five hours apart.

They also found no evidence to support a theory that the plane could have been taken over by remote control, said Kok.

"After all the hype and expectations, the report released brings forth nothing new".

Next of kin of those onboard looked distraught after receiving the report, many sobbing and saying that it offered them "no closure", and some claimed that information in it was incorrect.

"[It is] just another round in the emotional roller-coaster ride".

He said he was happy to note that the government has issued a statement that the probe was not over.

He also addressed allegations made against one of the pilots, who had a flight simulator in his home.

Dr Kok Soo Chon, the lead investigator, told the media that psychological evidence on captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah gave no indication he was suicidal.

He confirmed that the team would travel to China later in the week to present to report to relatives in Beijing.

  • Rogelio Becker