Bacteria in dog saliva causes Wisconsin man to lose both legs

"He told the doctors, 'Do what you have to do to keep me alive, '" Dawn Manteufel said.

In just a few days, the bacteria spread and Manteufel was fighting for his life.

Here's what you need to know. His wife Dawn told Fox 6 Now in Milwaukee that her husband had bruising all over his body, but they couldn't figure out what had caused it.

"It hit him with a vengeance". The disease had made it look as if someone had beat him up with a baseball bat, which had shocked both of them. Doctors quickly realized this was no flu case.

He was not bitten by the animal, with medics saying it is rare for a person to fall victim to such an infection when they haven't been bitten.

She told of how it had caused Manteufel's blood pressure to drop dramatically, causing plunging blood circulation to his legs.

Then, three weeks after he was first admitted, both of Greg's hands up to his mid palms were amputated.

The response forced doctors to amputate Greg Manteufel's legs. Surgery is scheduled to remove a portion of both hands as the damage from the sepsis is to extensive.

Manteufel remains in the hospital recovering from multiple surgeries. He will still need plastic surgery to rebuild his nose, according to the GoFundMe page.

Within a week at the hospital, the 48-year-old who paints houses for a living and loves to ride his Harley-Davidson motorcycle lost his legs. He never had any serious medical problems before. Thankfully, it's also very rare, affecting only 0.67 people per million in a nationwide survey in the Netherlands, so dog owners shouldn't worry too much about their beloved pet landing them in a medical catastrophe.

Manteufel has a long road to recovery, but part of that process will hopefully include prosthetic limbs.

Jason Marchand, the page's creator, said: "Greg has held his head high and is taking all the news like a beast".

The infection has been devastating for Manteufel and his family. It's situation Manteufel's wife, Dawn Manteufel, still does not understand.

In late June, blood tests revealed Greg Manteufel had infection caused by the bacteria capnocytophaga.

A Wisconsin man needed several amputations after he contracted a blood infection after being licked by a dog, WITI-TV reported. The majority of dogs are known to carry the Capnocytophaga canimorsus bacteria in their mouths, and a quick lick is all it would take for that bacteria to be transmitted.

  • Santos West