Genoa bridge collapse: search called off after last bodies found

Firefighters searching the rubble of a collapsed bridge in Genoa have found human remains inside a auto, emergency services told AFP Saturday, as the Italian city held a state funeral for the victims.

Ansa said three bodies were found in a vehicle smashed under a huge block of concrete from the collapse on Tuesday.

Firefighters also found the remains of a family of three, including a nine-year-old child, who had been traveling for a holiday.

While all those listed as missing have now been accounted for Stefano Zanut, a fire brigade official, told Sky TG24, "Our work continues in order to have the full certainty that nobody has been left under the rubble".

"And now, for the umpteenth time, angels have flown into heaven and paid for the mistakes of other human beings", Alessandro said.

One grieving mother quoted in Italian media said she held the Italian state responsible for the collapse, adding "the parade of politicians has been shameful".

Roberto, father of another victim, used social media to vent his anger: "My son will not become a number in the catalogue of deaths caused by Italian failures".

Government leaders also were attending the state funeral.

Toll-road operator Autostrade, controlled by infrastructure group Atlantia, manages the section of the A10 linking Genoa to the French border.

A 200-metre section of the 50-year-old Morandi Bridge in Genoa came crashing down last week on August 14.

Italy was preparing an official day of mourning Saturday to commemorate the dozens of people killed in Genoa's bridge disaster with some outraged relatives of victims set to shun the official ceremonies.

On Sunday, the government announced plans to check and fix Italy's motorways, bridges and viadicts, to ensure its aging infrastructure was safe.

The government plans to strip Autostrade of all of its lucrative contracts, which total 3,020 kilometres (1,870 miles) of Italy's 7,000 km-long motorway network.

Italy's populist ruling coalition launched the formal procedure aimed at revoking Autostrade's concessions on Friday.

Players of the city's two soccer teams, Genoa and Sampdoria, sat among the crowd, having cancelled matches this weekend in sign of respect.

Genoa's chief prosecutor said between 10 to 20 people could still be missing.

Interior Minister Matteo Salvini demanded that the company offer up to 500 million euros (USD570 million) to help families and local government deal with the aftermath of the disaster. They included people from Albania, Colombia, Chile, France, Jamaica, Romania, and Peru, according to the prefecture.

The Italian Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport announced the creation of an inspection commission to carry out technical checks and analysis in an investigation into the cause of the collapse.

The collapse has prompted fears over other aging infrastructure in Italy and overseas.

  • Eleanor Harrison