Khashoggi death: USA slams Saudi for deception but wont scrap arms deal

The Saudi foreign minister gave his condolences to family of Khashoggi and said the death was an aberration and a huge and grave mistake.

Tillis then said it "looks like" the crown prince ordered the killing "based on the people who were involved in the actual act".

Condoling with Khashoggi's family, Saudi Arabia's top diplomat said, "This is a bad mistake".

'This is a bad mistake. This is a bad tragedy. "We have to have limits as to how far we would go to work with them". Turkish investigative agencies have said that he was brutally killed inside the consulate.

Canada condemned Saudi Arabia's account of the death of dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi as inconsistent and not credible on Saturday, calling for a "thorough" investigation.

But on Sunday, a Saudi official told Reuters he was killed after being put in a chokehold.

"We ought to formally expel the Saudi ambassador from the United States until there is a completion of a third-party investigation into this kidnap, murder, and God knows what followed, that occurred in Istanbul", Durbin said.

"There remains an urgent need for clarification of exactly what happened. beyond the hypotheses that have been raised so far in the Saudi investigation, which need to be backed by facts to be considered credible", the statement added.

The new version of events contradicts an earlier explanation from the kingdom that said he died in a fist-fight that broke out in the consulate.

Statements from the United Nations, the European Union and a number of western governments have criticized Riyadh's handling of the case, which has gone from blanket denials of any involvement to an admission Saturday morning that the journalist was, in fact, killed while visiting the Saudi diplomatic compound in the Turkish city.

The Trump administration has strongly denied a claim that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo was played an audio recording and provided a transcript of Khashoggi's killing.

He added: "Why did those 15 men come here?"

It was also reported that 18 Saudi nationals had been arrested. It was only after Turkish officials suggested he had been killed that their superiors investigated and learned of the killing. "And so collectively, we've got to deal with this in an appropriate way". Yes, I think he did it. But it was a big first step, it was a good first step.

Turkish officials said Saturday they expected to find the body soon.

In an interview with the Washington Post, Mr Trump said that "obviously there's been deception, and there's been lies". "There is no way this kind of premeditated murder operation conceivably have happened in the Saudi consulate without the knowledge of and approval of the Crown Prince".

"Yes, I think he did it", Senator Bob Corker, chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said in an interview with CNN. Saudi Arabia has acknowledged that the critic died there, though says his death was the result of a "fistfight". But the prince himself, protected by his 82-year-old father, King Salman, has been tapped to lead a panel to reform the kingdom's intelligence services, a sign he will remain next in line to the throne.

On Saturday, German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Foreign Minster Heiko Maas said information provided by the Saudis was insufficient and sought more transparency from Riyadh, DW reported.

  • Rogelio Becker