Saudi king tours country as Khashoggi crisis rages overseas
- Author: Rogelio Becker Nov 08, 2018,
Nov 08, 2018, 2:44
Turkey said last week that Khashoggi, a US -based journalist who had written columns for The Washington Post that were critical of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was strangled as soon as he entered the consulate, his body dismembered and then destroyed, possibly dissolved in acid.
He argued that the order to kill the journalist "came from the highest levels of the Saudi government".
A 15-man Saudi team that flew to Turkey before the killing of Jamal Khashoggi must have been acting on orders, Turkey's Foreign Minister said, although he reiterated Ankara's position that the directions had not come from King Salman.
Saudi Arabia says 18 people have been detained over Mr Khashoggi's killing and the head of its human rights commission told a meeting in Geneva on Monday Riyadh was investigating the case with a view to prosecuting the perpetrators.
"We condemn the awful murder of Jamal Khashoggi", Trudeau told the House of Commons, adding "we are deeply concerned about reports on the participation of Saudi forces".
The senior Turkish official confirmed the main details of the report and said the Saudi team was sent with the knowledge of top Saudi officials.
On Friday, Yasin Aktay, an adviser to Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and reportedly a friend of Khashoggi's, told the newspaper Hurriyet that the journalist's body had been dissolved after the murder.
The kingdom's public prosecutor, Saud al-Mojeb, later said that the journalist was killed in a premeditated attack.
Many countries urged Saudi Arabia to introduce a moratorium on the death penalty or to abolish it altogether, and to explicitly ban its use for juvenile offenders.
"We believe that the two individuals came to Turkey for the sole goal of covering up evidence of Jamal Khashoggi's murder before the Turkish police were allowed to search the premises", the official said on condition of anonymity.
The two men flew into Istanbul from Saudi Arabia to help with the Saudi investigation into the October 2 disappearance of Jamal Khashoggi-or so the story went.
Salah Khashoggi, 35, a dual US-Saudi citizen, and his brother, Abdullah, 33, who lives in the United Arab Emirates, spoke with CNN in an interview that aired Sunday and described weeks of uncertainty following their father's October 2 disappearance.
They were part of the team that arrived on Oct. 11, and they were at the consulate daily from Oct. 12 to Oct. 17.
"I talked about that with the Saudi authorities and I just hope that it happens soon", he said.
But in fact, Salah Khashoggi said, the king had assured him that "everybody involved will be brought to justice" for the killing.