Texas Man Dies After Exploding Vape Pen Severs Major Artery
- Author: Rogelio Becker Feb 07, 2019,
Feb 07, 2019, 0:42
Brown's grandmother, Alice Brown said he had borrowed her vehicle on January 27 to run errands when he stopped off at a vape store in Keller.
She continued: "It just all seems so unreal". "That three-piece thing went into his throat and stayed there, and that's what (doctors) should have taken out as soon as they got to the hospital, and they chose to wait until Monday or Tuesday".
Brown died two days later in hospital of a stroke, in what is at least the second such death in the US.
It is reportedly the second fatality in the US from an exploding e-cigarette.
He had never used a vape pen before and was using it in his grandmother's auto on January 27.
Smoke and Vape DZ told CBS Dallas that Brown had entered the store wanting help using a Mechanical Mod style vape pen.
A spokesperson for the hospital, JPS Health Network, said that they could not comment on the details of Brown's case because of mecial privacy laws, but said that they are continuing to communicate with Brown's family regarding the incident. Additionally, the shape of e-cigarettes makes them more likely to act like "flaming rockets" if a battery fails, the USFA said.
Brown's grandmother, Alice Brown, said he was cut along his lip and a piece of the device shot into his throat. Furthermore, Alice told the Star-Telegram that she did manage to find the pen's battery, which still had the serial number, when searching her auto.
A man has been killed just days shy of his 25th birthday after an e-cigarette exploded in his face. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, defective e-cigarette batteries have caused fires and explosions. A piece of the e-cigarette was found in his throat and he was put into a medically-induced coma.
Electronic cigarettes, or vape pens, are battery-operated devices that heat a liquid to generate vapor - which may contain nicotine - that users can inhale.
That number was more than 40 times higher than the number of injuries reported by the Food and Drug Administration from 2009 to 2015.