Amtrak train stuck in Oregon for more than a day is moving

None of the 183 passengers and crew members aboard were injured, according to Amtrak.

An Amtrak train heading from Seattle to Los Angeles has been stranded near Eugene, Oregon since approximately 6:00pm on Sunday, February 24.

However, passenger Carly Bigby told KOIN that the train's snack cart is empty and parents have run out of diapers for their children.

"Due to worsening conditions, area road closures and no viable way to safely transport passengers or crews via alternate transportation, Train 11 stopped in Oakridge, Oregon", he said.

The company said the train was the safest place to house passengers following the incident because there was electricity and enough food for everyone.

Some passengers took to social media, posting pictures and video of their fellow passengers passing the time by playing cards, talking or sleeping wherever they could find space.

"We can't get off the train because there's four feet of snow in every direction", she said. "A teenager played his ukulele to kids to get them to sleep". Heavy snow and other fallen trees made the train temporarily unreachable.

The Coast Starlight Train 11 is now near the town of Oakridge - a small town that has become further isolated by the wintry conditions, with snow blocking roads and causing the town to lose power. "Mums are doing all they can right now". "Ladies who have never met before were dancing in aisles".

Dodson said the fix crews worked on the train's brakes until 6 am local time, and that it gradually dawned on passengers - literally - that they could be trapped on the train for much longer than estimated.

She would later tell KTVL News that passengers were putting washcloths together to create makeshift nappies for babies on board and scrounging together feminine products for women who had run out.

The company noted passengers were kept on board the train because of the power outages in Oakridge and to avoid separating passengers between the town's two small hotels.

Another Twitter user, Rebekah Dodson, praised the train's crew on Monday night, saying they were "still polite and professional" after having been on board for more than 30 hours. She also said there was a problem with the heating on the train the night before.

Amtrak tweeted at about 7:20 a.m. that the train was back on the move and was returning to Seattle, but that due to weather conditions, delays were expected along the route.

  • Rogelio Becker