New Zealand Prime Minister Vows To Change Gun Laws Following Mosque Shooting

In light of the deadly attack, the St. Paul Police Department said they will be making more frequent visits to mosques in the city and spend more time in nearby areas.

He described the actions of those involved as "worse than terrorists". The company says it is working directly with the New Zealand Police, the country's national police force, in its investigation.

Ardern said Tarrant was a licensed gun owner who allegedly used five weapons, including two semi-automatic weapons and two shotguns, which had been modified.

Yama Nabi said his father Haji Daoud, who came to New Zealand from Afghanistan in 1977, was killed at the Al Noor mosque.

Revelations that Tarrant had a standard gun license from 2017 despite a history of posting of hate-speech online prompted Ardern to say the nation's gun laws "will change".

There was a heavy police presence at the hospital where families of the more than 40 wounded had gathered.

Funerals were planned on Saturday for some of the victims, several who were born overseas.

One more person died later at Christchurch Hospital.

Support for the local Muslim community came quickly on Friday, with leaders of other faiths and politicians visiting the mosque to express their condolences and solidarity.

Bush urged anyone who had meant to visit a mosque in New Zealand not to go, to "close your doors until you hear from us again".

For many, the road to recovery will require multiple surgical procedures and many survivors said the mental scars may never fully heal. I think it's a small group of people that have very, very serious problems.

At first, Mr Taylor and his colleagues had no idea what was happening, initially believing the alarms, sirens and general panic sweeping through the New Zealand city were signs of another quake, similar to the 6.2-level seismic disaster that destroyed massive swathes of the city in 2011.

One global survey conducted in 2018 placed New Zealand as the world's safest country.

He also reached out to the Muslim community in Christchurch and in New Zealand.

Political across Asia and the Middle East voiced concern over the targeting of Muslims.

Social media users have condemned Western tabloid newspapers for their coverage of the New Zealand mosque attacks and their attempts to "humanise" the gunman.

The Anglican Diocese of Polynesia extended its "deepest sympathies to the Muslim community as you have once again, been a victim of this senseless act of violence resulting in the loss of life".

Wahb noted that the attacker had written the name of the Quebec City mosque shooter on his weapon, "so that actually triggers the sad feeling and the sorrow of this tragedy that happened here because we actually experienced it with a city that is close by here".

District Commander John Price, who was in charge of Friday's operation, told reporters on Saturday he was happy with the response.

"He had a big gun".

But Yasalar said there is no escaping the horrendous magnitude of the events in Christchurch.

Facebook said, that having been alerted by police, it had deleted the gunman's accounts "shortly after the livestream commenced". "We got scared, we asked ourselves what was happening", Sapkota said.

Ardern said children were caught up in the attack and one of the injured was a two-year-old boy.

  • Rogelio Becker