Home Sports Teams fall short in Landmark playoffs

Teams fall short in Landmark playoffs

1 163

Field Hockey

After defeating third-seeded Scranton 2-1 in overtime on Saturday, the Lady Rangers fell in the championship game to No. 1 seeded Catholic University 3-2 on Sunday.

After Hurricane Sandy relocated the Landmark playoffs to Catholic University, Landmark Offensive Player of the Year Brooke Gagliano (’14) scored in overtime to lift the Rangers over the Scranton Royals.

The Royals struck quickly, getting a goal from Jessica Conroy on the game’s first shot just 6:50 into the game. The Rangers responded by scoring on their second shot of the game as Gagliano recorded her first of two goals on the afternoon. Soon after, classmate Danielle Waleko (’14) found Gagliano, and together they tied the game with 1:13 left in the half.

The second half was scoreless. However, the offense picked up as both teams combined to take 11 shots. Royal goalie Krista Mundy would turn all six Ranger shots away to preserve the tie.

In the 74th minute, Melissa Boyd (’15) found Gagliano on a penalty corner for the game-winning goal, sending the Lady Rangers to the championship game.

The Lady Rangers followed their thrilling victory over Scranton on Saturday with a rematch of last year’s title game against Catholic on Sunday.

The Cardinals got on the board quickly as they would beat CC Carlini (’14) just four minutes into the game off the stick of Haley Wright. The Rangers would tie the game in the 17th minute as Bea Cannavale (’16) ripped a shot past Catholic goalie Megan Comunale.

The Cardinals opened the second half with goals by Maura Campbell and Kim Hermann just four minutes in, giving the Cardinals a 3-1 lead. The Lady Rangers pulled ahead to rest at only one point behind the Cardinals after Gagliano converted a penalty stroke in the 49th minute. However, the score would remain 3-2  and Catholic captured its second straight Landmark title.

Men’s Soccer

Defender RJ Voorman ('14) (Courtesy by Rachel Fink)

Defender RJ Voorman (’14) (Courtesy by Rachel Fink)

The Ranger’s week leading up to the Landmark Conference semifinals was interrupted by a freakish display of weather for the second year in a row.

The Rangers were able to hold Susquehanna to a scoreless draw for 78 minutes before conceding the decisive goal. The scoreline does not depict the true nature of the game however, as the Rangers were only able to manage a single shot on target in the dying moments of the second half. One takeaway was the Rangers defense’s ability to limit the amount of chances Susquehanna were able to create. Midfielder John Noegiwich (’15) said, “As a unit we played well defensively. Both teams were solid, and it was a very close match up in that regard. We only made one mistake which happened to cost us the game.” Despite the defensive display exhibited in the first 75 minutes, Coach Lenny Armuth replaced co-captain RJ Voorman (’14), with another forward, Jackson Hurst (’16).

Almost instantaneously after Voorman’s substitution and the reshuffling of the defense, Susquehanna scored the decisive goal in the tie to make it 1-0. The Rangers were able to mount a response within the dying moments of the game. In the 88th minute, the ball fell to Kevin Walpole (’13) in a goalscoring position, only to have his knee give out when he struck the ball, leaving him with one last injury as a parting favor for an injury-plagued career. Walpole’s co-captain Matthew Gragnano (’14) produced the only shot on target of the game, only to have his header saved by the Crusaders’ goalie.

So for the fourth time in a row, the Rangers were eliminated from the conference tournament in the semifinals as once again the season ends, as T.S. Elliot writes “not with a bang but with a whimper.”

Women’s Soccer

Last Saturday, the Women’s Soccer Team faced second seeded Moravian College in the Landmark Semi-Final in Scranton, Pa. After a long, hard fought game, the Rangers fell in penalty kicks. Neither team found the back of the net during regulation.

The game was heated from the beginning with both teams fouling early. Katie O’Keefe (’14) was the first Ranger to get a shot off, but missed wide. Liz Loiodice (’14) brought spark to the Ranger offense after subbing in, testing the Greyhound defense twice. Drew held a 6-1 advantage on shots taken in the first half of play.

Moravian outshot the Rangers 9-4 in the second half. Kim Jaikissoon (’13) made two saves, one coming in the 88th minute of play. This save kept the score even at 0-0, sending the game into overtime.

The first overtime period only saw one shot by O’Keefe, however the second period saw four shots.  Bridget McRory (’14) missed wide in the 100th minute, whereas O’Keefe’s second shot was saved. Moravian’s only shot of the overtime period came in the 105th minute. The score at the end of overtime meant both teams took to the penalty spot for a shoot out, which the Rangers lost 4-3.

“We had a much better fight against Moravian this time around, and it was extremely unfortunate that our Landmark season ended with penalty kicks,” Caroline Kuras (’14) said. “Penalty kicks could never determine the true skill of a team. We worked very hard and played well together all through the game.”

“The first time we faced Moravian it was not our best game, so we went into the semifinal knowing exactly what we needed to do and improve on to win. I don’t think they were expecting us to come out as hard as we did, we had a bunch of opportunities and played a tough game, losing in penalty kicks was heartbreaking,” added McRory.